Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 5-Oh Look, it's the Agora Again...and Hey You Only Get Roofied in Greece Once!


Just about nine hours before we went to the Agora--Lyndsi, Sam, Sara, Dan and myself got lost here on the way to dinner.  We ended up passing it around four times.  The point of the story--The Agora is lit beautifully at night.  Much more inviting and fairy-like.


It's not really fair that the dog gets to walk on the ruins...
Water Clock
Sara and I



The Agora is such a fascinating place because it's where the people lived and conducted daily business.  The room in the Agora that held all public records, along with the water clock were two of the most interesting things at the Agora.  At the top sits the Thission or the Temple of Hephaistos.  The Agora was a bit of a walk, and the shade wasn't really where you wanted it to be.  We checked out the Agora Museum after walking the archaeological site. Hit up Everest then took a nap.


Let's Take a Moment to Reflect on Everest--
-It's food just might be greasier than McDonalds
-The people that work there are ALWAYS angry
-There's always something that looks sorta good, but the guy in front of you takes the last piece
Blinky The Pirate says Eat Yer Everest
-The bacon there is NOT bacon
No Matter How Much You Eat, You're Still Hungry


      

That night we had planned on going to the Dora Stratou Theatre to watch some Greek folk dancing.  What Joe didn't tell us was that there was more walking involved in getting to the theatre than there was walking around  the Agora all day.  Not to mention, people were already in their "going out clothes" not their "I'm ready for another one of Joe's questionably long journeys."  The outdoor theatre was situated in the middle of nothing.  It was actually a really pretty space that had a pretty large house.  The dance company was huge and they did a good job of rotating from number to number with that many people.  I recognized a lot of it from Greek festivals back home.  It's funny, because I've taken certain things in my life for granted, like my heritage, and most of the people I was on the trip with were being exposed to things like this for the first time.  It really made me appreciate coming from a culturally rich background.
It was a long walk, but we made it.  One of those "I've got the Golden Ticket moments."


It was going to Katie's birthday that night, so after the show, everyone loaded up with their juice of choice, and we headed out to this "Karaoke Bar."  It was in the worst part of Athens and it was 100% Greek.  The Greek that I know barely got us by.  No one wanted to go to the club that we had gone to previously, which was English speaking mostly, but we wanted to keep the group together.  And look what happened...Just before the group got up to sing some journey, Molly had ordered three shots--one for her, one for me and one for Lyndsi.  The bartender was really confused when she ordered.  And I thought that was strange because all she had ordered was three shots of vodka and a glass of cranberry juice.  But I don't think Greece has cranberry juice...anyway...we get these half shots of a light pink liquid which at first glance appeared to be vodka and cranberry...but didn't taste like vodka and cranberry.  Lyndsi stopped drinking at that point, and shortly after we left to go to the better club literally next door.  The second club was definitely better, and we had a great time after that.

This is how I know that we were given something:
-I drank more than Lynsdi that night (she stopped after the mystery shot) but we both felt the same way the next morning.
-I was horribly dizzy and had the worst headache ever the next day, as did Lyndsi.
-I literally felt the next morning like I had power chugged a fifth of vodka AND done shrooms.
-I couldn't keep water or peanuts in my stomach.
-And at one point I was literally floating on the ceiling of the Astor hotel

And all this was after five hours of being awake the next morning.

Just Minutes After the Mystery Shot Had Been Consumed
I don't think it was a genuine roofie because we both remember everything.  But there was definitely a strange sense of ease on the walk back home, whereas the group remained together and cautious on the way there.  I think it might have been something diluted in something.  But that's beside the point.  Moral of the story?  I was right.  Karaoke Bar in the Athenian projects = poli kakos

No comments:

Post a Comment