Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 11-Thunderstorms Are Sexy

This should be advertising something




The breakfast in Arachova was one of my favorites, because, I was finally able to get some loukoumades (like Greek doughnut holes)!  They also had a really friendly atmosphere...





Today we were adventuring to the mystical Delphi, but first, a stop at The Athena Pronoia with the Tholos; which is I believe one of two circular Tholos--here at Delphi and one at Epidaurus.  It was overcast this day, so the pictures of the ruins look AMAzing.


From there we went straight to the Archaeological site of Delphi  Which, let me tell you, is quite the hike.
We were excited.

The Temple of Apollo at Delphi


Theatre at Delphi!
Probably My Favorite Picture of Joe
Ancient Stadium at Delphi
I want to see a bear fight in this stadium.
"The Roula"
Here's Creepin' On You Delphi


We had a lecture at the stadium at the top of Delphi, then walked (I slipped and pulled a muscle) to the museum back at the bottom. 

I still want to be her when I grow up
The First Record of Musical Notation

Does the Charioteer Give You Nightmares?


We left the site and went into the current city of Delphi for lunch.  It's a really quiet town with not much going on.  We headed back to Arachova bearing the small trinkets we had purchased at Delphi.  The sky grew darker and it began to rain.

I've always been a big fan of thunder and lightening storms and the most beautiful one I saw was in Arachova.  We sat on the balcony drinking Metaxa, talking about life and cheering at lightening flashes like a bunch of five year olds.  It was a perfect moment.

That night the hotel had scheduled a free happy hour for the entire group...I don't think they had planned on serving that much wine, but had to have gone trough 15-20 bottles of wine, not to mention anything that you got at the bar was still free...Alexis, Maurice, Sam, Dan and I got the opportunity to go to dinner with Joe after the happy hour.  Which may or may not have been a bright idea.  But we all had fun.  We returned to the hotel for more drinking and hopefully less shenanigans...or so we thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment