Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 12-To Nauplion...Oh But Let's Go to Corinth First


It was a misty morning when we left Arachova.  We stopped at this truck stop on the way to the Archaeological Site of Corinth.  It was way too trendy for where it was located.  Red lights, fully stocked bar, hip cafe tables.  And it was practically empty, except for what looked like some Turks...we were sitting down having coffee when all of a sudden this huge busload of old Greek people on a tour of some kind came into the cafe.  All at the same time 40 little old ladies run, well, hobble to the toilet, just as Roula was telling us we needed to go.  About four of the girls in the group including myself needed to use the restroom.  Roula pushed past the old ladies, yelling at them in Greek.  There was a very awkward moment when we were being shoved from behind and from the front, and I was a little afraid that one of the elderly ones was going to pull a knife.  But we peed, all because of Roula.  Efharisto Roula. Para poli.

We made it to Corinth where this happy guy (shown below) gave us a very warm welcome. 
He's Happy To See You
We Saw Some Broken Things...
...and a headless man...

...and a hole...

Lechaion Road

I took my shoes off and walked on an ancient road.  And I almost sat in a chair. 


The Temple of Apollo at Corinth

It was a little too far down to the ground for me...
From the archaeological site we made it to the museum, where I learned where my hair came from.  Half of us boarded the bus and the other half went exploring in an ancient theatre across from Corinth with Joe for a bit.  When everyone was back on the bus, Roula put on "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," and we drove happily towards the Corinth Canal.  There was a cafe literally right next to the canal and we ate lunch and waited for a boat to come so the canal would lower.  It was at this cafe that I found the only Pepsi cola in Greece; although because it was just a Pepsi bottle and I didn't open it, it very-well could have been Coke in a Pepsi bottle, although it did taste like flat Pepsi...

This is a really good 'This Guy!' picture


I LOVE this guy.



Shortly after the Corinth Canal we arrived in Nauplion.  The cutest city in the world.  I think Nauplion was one of my favorite spots.  It has a really fun area to walk around, and it is literally just beautiful.  We met on the roof with the owner of the hotel and it was free frappe's for everyone.  



The View From Funnels O' Riley and Boozy Lazarakis' Room










Me In Our Room









 After a long day of traveling, Joe mentioned that this night was our only opportunity to hike to the top of Palamidi Castle.

The View From 1/4 Of The Way Up There

Castle's are Cool
The View At The Top Was Breathtaking

Originally I was going to have the wife carry me up...but she has asthma...

Yay! We did it! (It was almost 1000 stairs!)









This was on a menu in Nauplion...absolutely precious...

I Love Lamp




No comments:

Post a Comment